Wednesday, October 18, 2006

What's next? Banning movement?

Not it! Mass. elementary school bans tag ATTLEBORO, Mass. - Tag, you're out! Officials at an elementary school south of Boston have banned kids from playing tag, touch football and any other unsupervised chase game during recess for fear they'll get hurt and hold the school liable.

Recess is "a time when accidents can happen," said Willett Elementary School Principal Gaylene Heppe, who approved the ban. (Yahoo News)

Is this truely the beginning of the end? If you have been around more than 10 minutes you will know that I have been questioning several of the decisions that educations officials (and I am going to use the term very loosely here) have been making of late, but I think this is near the top of my list. Sure, I am one of those who grew up with a jungle gym securly mounted over the asphalt of my school playground and today I kind of question that decision, but I do not question the need for a jungle gym. I played touch football, tag, soccer and a dozen other silly games at recess and while someone would fall and skin a knee or at worse, break a bone, that was the small price you paid and I know my mother (a former teacher herself) and father would have never thought about suing the school. Accidents happen. Banning recess because someone might get hurt is not going to reduce them or make them less significant. It will, however, continue to lead to a generation of lazy, overweight children (and thus, adults) who do not know what to do out-of- doors.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home