Monday, July 16, 2007

But is it a good phone?

10 things you must never do with a friend's iPhone: There are worse things than greasy fingers BY Gregg Keizer July 15, 2007 (Computerworld) -- You're one of the lucky ones. Because you didn't shell out hundreds for an Apple Inc. iPhone two weeks ago, your bank account still shows a positive balance. But since you know someone who did buy the $599 phone, you have access to one, if only temporarily. No need to rub elbows with the hoi polloi at the Apple store, or heaven help you, an AT&T Inc. store, to try out the gizmo. No need, either, to spend the money to impress that certain someone, you cheapskate. (Computerworld)

I have a couple of friends and former associates that were positively salivating over the release of the iPhone. Unfortunately, many of them were unable to purchase their dream toy because of a sharp down turn in their personal finances on the day the phone was released, so, as far as I know, none of those that were dripping on their keyboards has actually procured one. But at $600 a unit, plus monthly charges, that is close to 1/4 of a mortgage payment, so I am sure they are happy about this.

Personally, I do not understand what the big deal. Sure, it looks good, has a snazzy user interface and can play video games, and can be pureed to a creamy texture, but how does it work as a phone?

I ask this question after almost two years as the user of a Palm 650 Trio. I have been a fan of Palm's devices ever since I traded in my Sharp Wizard (which oddly enough they still make but it looks nothing like the black cased organizer I used to have).

My first Palm was a Pilot III and I loved it. Grey screen and all, but when the Model VII came out, I was in heaven! Here was an organizer with email (years ahead of the crackberry I might add). Sure I had to have a subscription, but so what? Sure I had to learn to use Graffiti to send my emails, but again, so what (I will admit to liking the keyboard to send emails with rather than doing it with Graffiti, but I did get very good at quick responses with Graffiti.). I upgraded over time and then I stopped using my Palm when I really had no need for it day-to-day (when you are laid off, there is no need to keep an electronic schedule) and reverted to paper.

Flash forward to 2005 and I am looking to replace my cell phone. Now at the time, I did not do a lot of text messaging. In fact, because of the clunky interface and auto word feature on my cell phone, I did almost none. It was faster to write down a message and send it by carrier pigeon than it was to use SMS. But I did need a new phone and was actually looking at a BlackBerry. The biggest negative to the BlackBerry at the time was the form factor. I just could not see it being comfortable to use as a phone. The newer models are getting better in that regard. The Treo, however, was comfortable, not to big and not to small and it was a familiar interface and user experience (and that is sometimes half the battle). The cost was reasonable and so I put down my money.

I am not sure now, if the issue of a phone can be thoroughly tested without dozens of hours of use. And you cannot do that unless you use it. I am not a big telephone person. If you want something from me other than to tell me you are running late, send an email (and if you are running late, send me a text message). Along with some subtle hearing loss I am finding that the phone speakers on these smart devices while great at playing MP3, do not seem to do so well at transmitting the human voice. Especially after it has been compressed, packetized and shoved through a bunch of devices never meant to carry it. I find it increasingly difficult to hear people on the other end of the line, especially if there is ANY ambient noise (like you are standing outside and a car goes by). I have a bluetooth head set and that does not seem to help. I think I am going to have to revert to a wired headset. But in the end, the question still remains. If you are going to spend $600 for a "smart phone," I would expect the vendor put as much effort into making it a good phone as well as making it a good technology replacement. Is that too much to ask?

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home